In today's article, we bring you a very curious reaction that occurs by bringing a very cold liquid into contact with an element at room temperature. This so-called exothermic reaction will allow us to transform a container of water into ice just by touching it.
First of all you should know that this ice should not be used for beverages as sodium acetate is harmful to health.However, we can use the ice produced to create beautiful figures.
To achieve this effect we must first prepare the water to achieve the reaction:
- First of all we must heat a container of water until it comes to the boil (about 100 degrees Celsius).
- The next step is to sprinkle over the water a little bit of sodium acetate (available at any pharmacy) and dissolve it by stirring the water with a spoon.
- Once mixed, we wait 3 minutes while continuing to stir.
- After this time, we let our mixture cool down and transfer it to a glass container.
- Finally, we put the container in the freezer for 3 or 4 hours and take it out when we feel it is cold enough.
This done we will have already prepared our mixture to see the effect. To turn water into ice instantly we only have to pour it into a container that is at room temperature or simply introduce our finger in it. We will see a nice effect due to the exothermic reaction that takes place.
With this method we can make beautiful ice statues that are sure to surprise our acquaintances. In the following image you can see an example:
As always, remember that you can use our forum to answer any questions you may have.