For several months now, I have been working in my spare time on repairing the problems of the well-known 3 red lights on the Xbox 360I decided to record the process in one of them so that you all know how I do it so that they never come out again. All over the Internet there are many tutorials explaining this, but I can say from experience that with these consoles, to give an excellent and lasting result, it is not enough with just one trick.
Basically what happens to this console to make it so problematic is excessive heat, resulting in the following:
- First of all, the welds soften and stop making contact, leading to a multitude of errors, all of which are grouped into the typical 3 red lights.
- Secondly, and also as a consequence of very defective materials, the base plate of the device arches and causes some components to no longer make good contact, again causing the 3 red lights.
Repair the 3 red lights
In the video at the top of this post we have the whole process of repairing the console, which includes:
- Dismantle the Xbox 360 completely and clean all its components, thus making the air circulation much smoother.
- Reheat all components so that they make proper contact again.
- Restore the thermal paste that makes the processors (both CPU and GPU), dissipate heat to the heatsinks themselves, as over time it ceases to be fully effective.
- Improving anchorages of the heatsinks so that the heatsinks are better secured.
- Open a new air duct at the front of the air circuit and place an extra fanThe efficiency of these parts is multiplied.
- Apply the hack that makes the fans always run at 12v (faster), causing the console to draw much more heat from the inside right from the start.
- Subject the console to several hours of play to verify that it does not fail.
- 7cm side fan, 12v.
- Fan grille.
- x2 syringes of thermal paste.
- x8 washers of 6mm internal diameter and 10mm external diameter.
- x2 screws of 3mm diameter and 30mm long.
- x2 nuts 3mm diameter.
- x4 washers of 3mm internal diameter and 7mm external diameter.
Caution with our Xbox 360
Obviously, because Xbox 360s are very delicate consoles, we will need to maintain some basic precautions during use after they have been repaired:
- Avoid placing it in enclosed spacesthat do not have good cooling or that concentrate heat from other devices.
- Under no circumstances plug the air ducts. The top fan, the two rear fans and both sides of the console keep the inside of the console ventilated.
- Do not use it in very hot daysThe air that enters it to cool the components is not going to be cool.
- Too many hours of continuous play can cause it to break down again. My recommendation is that for every 45 minutes of gameplay, let the console rest for 15 minutes..
- Set the console to rigid surfacesAvoid at all costs cushions, sofas or beds as they generate heat concentration. To check that it is correctly positioned, just look to see if the four rubber feet on the bottom of the console are the only ones that are in contact.
- Install the games on your hard disk, it will prevent excessive use of the reader.
- Avoid moving the console when it is hot, i.e. just after use. The solder joints could be hot and a bump could dislodge a component.